N. Korea threatens ‘super-mighty pre-emptive strike’

N. Korea threatens ‘super-mighty pre-emptive strike’
© Getty

North Korean state media is warning the United States of a "super-mighty pre-emptive strike."

"In the case of our super-mighty pre-emptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists' invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the U.S. mainland and reduce them to ashes," said the Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea's ruling Workers' Party, Reuters reported.

The warning comes amid rising tension between the U.S. and North Korea over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program and ballistic missile testing.
 
ADVERTISEMENT
Earlier this week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. is considering whether to restore North Korea to the list of state sponsors of terrorism.
 
He said at a Wednesday press conference that the administration is "reviewing all the status of North Korea, both in terms of state sponsorship of terrorism as well as the other ways in which we can bring pressure on the regime in Pyongyang to re-engage with us."

"But re-engage with us on a different footing than past talks have been held,” he said at a Wednesday press conference, according to Reuters. “We are evaluating all of those options.”

Vice President Pence has also taken a harsh stance on North Korea, saying earlier this week that "an era of strategic patience" in the region is over.

The vice president has warned North Korea not to test Trump or the U.S. military. He said the U.S. will seek peace under Trump but noted the "shield stands guard and the sword stands ready."

"Those who would challenge our resolve or readiness should know, we will defeat any attack and meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective American response," he said earlier this week aboard the USS Ronald Reagan.