National security adviser: Trump 'will take action' to prevent North Korean aggression against US

National security adviser H.R. McMaster said Sunday that President Trump "will take action" in order to prevent North Korean aggression towards the U.S.

“[I]t’s clear that the president is determined not to allow this kind of capability to threaten the United States, and our president will take action that is in the best interest of the American people,” McMaster told host Martha Raddatz on ABC’s “This Week.”

McMaster would not provide specifics as to what actions the Trump administration will make towards the North Korean state. His comments came as Vice President Pence is in South Korea, with the North set to dominate discussions. 

ADVERTISEMENT
“Well, the president’s made very clear that he is not in the business of announcing in advance exactly what he’s going to do in any particular situation,” McMaster said. 

McMaster told Raddatz it would be in the country's “best interest” to halt its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.

“I think it should make clear to the North Korean regime that it is in their best interest to stop the development of these weapons, to stop the development of these missiles, and to denuclearize the peninsula,” McMaster said.

McMaster called North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un “unpredictable” and a “grave threat to all people,” citing that he’s proven his brutality by allegedly having his own family members killed. 

“I mean, what Kim Jong Un is doing is a threat to all people in the region and globally as well,” McMaster said.

McMaster said the Chinese government will be a key ally in resolving North Korean threat peacefully.  

“And so we’re going to rely on our allies like we also do, but we’re also going to have to rely on Chinese leadership. I mean, North Korea is very vulnerable to pressure from the Chinese. Eighty percent of North Korea’s trade comes from China. All of their energy requirements are fulfilled by China,” McMaster continued. 

Although Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping earlier this month to discuss the increasingly hostile state, he tweeted last week that the two held further discussions about North Korea’s recent missile launches.  

But Trump says he will take on North Korea with or without China’s help.